This essay will be your first piece of formal writing in Music 101. It serves as an introduction to the class and will get you thinking about your relationship with course material. It will be completed in several steps and read by your instructor as well as by your classroom peers. We’ll be spending a large chunk of time on this assignment.
Course Intro Essay prompt: CIE prompt – Spring 2018
Course Intro Essay rubric: CIE rubric – Spring 2018
General feedback, based on first drafts: CIE general feedback
Online submission how-to: How to post assignments online – Spring 2018
Online constructive criticism rubric: CIE critique rubric – Spring 2018
The first draft of this essay is due on the following days:
- Section H2(Tuesdays): February 20 — via email by 11:59pm (refer to the prompt for proper submission and file naming)
- Sections H3 and L3 (Wednesdays): February 21 — in class, stapled to a copy of the rubric
First drafts are not graded (they are a critical opportunity for feedback) and late first drafts will not be accepted. First drafts will be returned in class the following week (February 27 and 28).
The final draft of this essay with a revision reflection is due in class:
- Section H2 (Tuesdays): March 6
- Section H3 and L3 (Wednesdays): March 7
The complete submission contains, stapled in order:
- Rubric with your name and section number
- Revision reflection
- First draft and graded rubric
- Final draft
The revision reflection is required and I will not grade your essay without it. Your essay is late until the revision reflection is submitted. Refer to the essay prompt for a description of the revision reflection.
Graded final drafts will be returned the following week in class (March 13 and 14).
The final task with the Course Intro Essay is to make it (a bit more) public. You’ll choose one paragraph from your Course Intro Essay to share with your peers on the website for your section of Mu 101.
Submissions are due by 11:59pm on March 10 to the website for your section of Mu 101:
- Section H2 (Tuesdays): https://spring2018h2.wordpress.com/
- Section H3 (Wednesday afternoons): https://spring2018h3.wordpress.com/
- Section L3 (Wednesday evenings): https://spring2018l3.wordpress.com/
During the week of March 12-18, your task is to read all the paragraphs posted by your classmates and to offer one piece of constructive criticism in the form of a compliment, piece of advice, tip, or editing suggestion. You can earn extra credit (+1 each) for comments that are particularly insightful, extended meaningful conversations/back-and-forth, or links to outside sources that add depth and substance to the critique.